Northridge Earthquake Anniversary
It is hard to believe that 19 years ago today the Northridge earthquake struck at 4:31am. It only lasted 10 – 20 seconds but caused over $20 billion in damages to Southern California.
As time passes, we all become complacent with being prepared for the next Earthquake.
Tegner-Miller has put together some helpful ideas to help you be prepared for the next “big one”.
- Have at least a one week supply of water, food and prescription medicine for your family. (Don’t forget to include items for your pets)
- Have a disaster kit prepared that has at a minimum a flashlight, batteries, first aid kit, blankets and cash. (ATMs might be affected)
- Prepare an emergency plan for your family to insure communication after a disaster. This should include an out of state contact in case local phone service is interrupted.
- Make sure you have installed an earthquake gas shut-off valve for your home and everyone knows how to operate it.
- Review your earthquake insurance coverage now. Most insurance policies have completely changed from what was available 19 years ago. Do you have adequate coverage?
Now is a good time to review earthquake insurance with Tegner-Miller Insurance Brokers. Your home is one of your largest assets. Make sure you have the right coverage before the next earthquake strikes. Please call us at 310-828-9662 and we will be happy to assist you.